Sonya is a consultant in our Energy team in Exeter. She deals with grid, infrastructure, policy, Ofgem, licensing and supply issues as well as EPC and O&M contracts.
What sets Sonya apart from other lawyers is her experience, commitment and passion for renewables. She is nationally renowned for her renewable energy experience having worked in the sustainability sector for over 10 years as a lawyer and has gained an MSc in renewable energy. In 2018 she was awarded an MBE for her services to community energy, following a trio of industry awards.
Following her qualification in September 2000, she has experience in all renewable energy projects:
- Solar PV (large and small scale)
- Anaerobic digestion
Her recent experience includes:
- Advising on Ofgem accreditations for over 20 solar parks and 5 wind sites
- Project managing a number of anaerobic digestion sites
- Acting for over 20 community energy groups – from set up/funding/site acquisition to development and subsequent generation
- Investment of over £30,000,000 into renewable energy sites
- Establishing the UK’s first grid consortium and grid sharing agreements for communities.
Sonya is a true expert and is truly immersed in renewable energy giving her time as a:
- Non-executive director of Regen SW
- Director of Exeter Community Energy
- Director of Somerset Renewable Energy Community
- Board member for the Sustainable Institute.
Sonya’s personal testimonials:
Chambers and Partners (2019) – Energy & Natural Resources: Renewables & Alternative Energy – UK-wide – Recognised Practitioner
Chambers and Partners (2018) – Energy & Natural Resources: Renewables & Alternative Energy – UK-wide – Recognised Practitioner
Legal 500 (2017) – Recommended Lawyer – “The very responsive energy group at Stephens Scown LLP possesses very strong knowledge of and connectedness with the renewable industry.” Sonya is “extremely well-connected”.
Chambers and Partners (2016) – ranked as an “up and coming” lawyer. Clients say “she is very approachable, has good knowledge and we are able to establish a really thorough working relationship.”
In her spare time she sings with a band and goes wind turbine spotting!