We know from work we have done with many clients that sickness absence is a common and increasing challenge. We understand that absence can have a significant impact on the smooth running of your organisation, as well as on financial performance and your other staff members.
On occasion, sickness is caused by or is a symptom of a disability. The consideration of those competing factors, as well as the duty of care you owe to your employee, makes this a complex area.
When handling sickness absence, we work with you to identify what issues might be in play:
- Has the absence been properly notified or is there a concern about unauthorised absence?
- Is there any suggestion that the illness might not be genuine?
- Is the absence short-term and intermittent or long-term?
- Is there a disability or other medical condition that needs further investigation?
- Are there any health insurance or pension issues that are affecting the position?
- Are there patterns of sickness or absence which indicate an abuse of sickness absence benefits/leave?
The answers to these questions will provide a structure to how the absence should best be dealt with, always underpinned by finding you the best solution that takes into account your business needs.
Recent Examples of work:
- Assisting a medical practice with an employee with a terminal illness
- Advising on the reasonableness of adjustments sought by an employee with a disability
- Supporting a small charity to manage the ongoing absence of a key member of staff within a small team
- Guiding an organisation through the dismissal of an employee on long-term absence in circumstances where the employee refused to engage with attempts to meet with her and obtain more information