Ellie is an experienced partner and heads up our HRExpress team. She believes that for businesses, having effective, specialist advice readily available is key to putting in place and retaining an engaged and settled workforce. She prides herself in giving focused, pragmatic advice which makes the running of businesses smoother and easier.
Within her role she works with businesses on their day to day HR and employment practices as well as advising on reorganisations and business transfers. She also supports private individuals on the full spectrum of employment law including redundancy, departure situations and Settlement Agreements, capability issues and discrimination.
The organisations Ellie supports are drawn from a wide range of sectors but she has a particular interest in the social housing sector.
Ellie read classics at King’s College, Cambridge (MA Hons) before completing the Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course at the Colleague of Law in Guildford, obtaining a distinction in both courses. She trained at a London firm and qualified at the same firm in 2007. Ellie joined Stephens Scown in 2015.
Recent work includes:
- Advising a local tourist attraction on the closure of part of its site and ensuring all of its obligations in relation to a redundancy process were met
- Leading on the team’s support of a hotel carrying out a collective consultation exercise following a major restructure
- Securing a favourable outcome for a charity looking to discipline a senior employee for serious matters of misconduct who had also raised seven grievances and discrimination complaints
- Advising a major employer on a highly sensitive HR matter including allegations of a lack of board oversight, whistleblowing matters and significant potential reputational damage
- Advising a senior female employee placed at risk of redundancy immediately on her return from maternity leave, securing a settlement agreement with 12 months’ pay
- Advising a female employee discriminated against following a diagnosis of MS and achieving a settlement outcome of nearly 18 months’ pay
- Supporting a non-exec board with the removal of its CEO, ensuring any potential risks of the removal were carefully managed
- Representing an employee in a complex claim for constructive unfair dismissal, whistleblowing, age and disability discrimination against a public sector employer and successfully achieving a settlement of just under a year’s gross earnings.
Ellie’s personal testimonials:
Legal 500 (2021) – Next Generation Partner
Legal 500 (2020) – Next Generation Partner – “She has always dealt with our instructions promptly and been available to speak to when matters have needed to be discussed. Her advice has been clear. Responses have been timely. We have been very pleased with the level of service that we have received from her.”
Legal 500 (2019) – Next Generation Partner
“Ellie gave me absolute confidence at every turn, and I owe her a huge debt of gratitude. Her advice was always measured and sensible and she kept me calm and focused during an otherwise difficult period. Ellie took the time to understand the context of the situation and I had complete faith in her interpretation and approach. I felt in a safe pair of hands throughout and would gladly recommend her to anyone.”
James Geer, September 2021
“I have been very impressed with the team at Stephens Scown. They have been incredibly supportive in challenging times and very much helped us achieve our aims. As well as being professional their assistance has been personal and tailored to our needs. I would have no hesitation in recommending Ellie and her team.”
General Manager, Dart Marina Hotel, January 2021
“As always, Ellie and her team are attentive to our needs and goals.”
Fowler Financial Planning, 2020
“Ellie is very knowledgeable, quick to appreciate the questions and to advise accordingly. I am very pleased with the quality of the outcome.”
Hugh Player, 2019
Outside of work, Ellie enjoys cooking, watching cricket and rugby and spending time with her husband and two young daughters.
- Contracts, Agreements, Pay and Benefits
- Contracts and Handbooks
- Disciplinary and Grievance Issues (Business)
- Disciplinary and Grievance Issues (Personal)
- Employee Dismissal and Settlement Agreements
- Employment Law
- Employment Tribunal Claims
- Restructuring and Redundancies
- Sickness Absence and Stress
- Sickness Absence Management
- Social Housing
- Takeovers, Mergers and TUPE
- Unfair Treatment
- Workplace Disputes (Business)
- Workplace Disputes (Personal)