Laura specialises in HR and employment law. Qualifying in 2000, after attending Durham University and completing her Graduate Diploma in Law at Exeter University and Legal Practice Course at the College of Law, Guildford. She provides practical, hands on advice as well as guiding clients through employment tribunals when needed.
Recent experience includes:
- An unfair dismissal claim that was successfully defended on behalf of a charity client at the Employment Appeal Tribunal
- Defending a multi-party claim by a workforce of employees that they had been transferred under the TUPE Regulations to a new employer client from a previous, insolvent employer.
She is experienced in advising on business sales and acquisitions, restructuring, settlement agreements and executive terminations. Laura regularly gives presentations on employment law topics and provides bespoke training to clients.
Laura has extensive experience in advising charities both at a national operations level and at local level. Laura’s recent work in this sector includes advice on general employment matters and complex restructuring, including TUPE transfers and redundancies. She also acts for clients in the healthcare and hospitality sectors.
Her recent work includes:
- Dealing with a merger between three charities via a TUPE transfer, including issues arising from funding and projects coming to and end and potential redundancies
- Drafting and negotiating service agreements and restrictive covenants on a MBO for a company group with revenues of £250 million and 400 staff
- Acting for a client in a strategic purchase of an engineering company, including detailed advice on contractual obligations and liabilities that had occurred in respect of prior redundancies and a TUPE transfer
- Advising on the employment aspects of the purchase of a garden centre from a company group, involving detailed due diligence and potential changes to employee terms and conditions following a transfer of staff.
Laura is a sub-regional representative for the Employment Lawyers Association in Exeter and the surrounding area, a board member of the Exeter Chamber of Commerce and honorary solicitor to the Exeter & Heart of Devon Hotels Association.
Laura’s personal testimonials:
Legal 500 (2023) – “Laura McFadyen is an outstanding employment solicitor.”
Outside of work she enjoys running, skiing and spending time with her family.
- Church Law
- Contracts, Agreements, Pay and Benefits
- Contracts and Handbooks
- Disciplinary and Grievance Issues (Business)
- Disciplinary and Grievance Issues (Personal)
- Employee Dismissal and Settlement Agreements
- Employment Law
- Employment Tribunal Claims
- Holiday Parks
- Leisure and Tourism
- Residential Parks
- Restructuring and Redundancies
- Sickness Absence and Stress
- Sickness Absence Management
- Takeovers, Mergers and TUPE
- Unfair Treatment
- Workplace Disputes (Business)
- Workplace Disputes (Personal)