Lizzie is a partner in our Family team, specialising in the financial aspects of relationship breakdown.
She advises on divorce, financial support for children or following a foreign divorce, enforcement issues and freezing injunctions, non-molestation and occupation orders, pre- and post-nuptial agreements, arrangements for children and relocation applications.
Lizzie qualified in 2012, and is a member of Resolution, the national body of family solicitors committed to resolving disputes with the minimum of conflict, as well as being a Resolution Accredited Specialist in Advanced Financial Remedies (High Net Worth) and International Family Law.
Her recent work includes:
- Representing a husband where both parties were doctors in the NHS, resolving the financial aspects of the case by way of a solicitor-supported mediation.
- Acting for a wife in financial proceedings, obtaining freezing injunctions to protect assets both in this country and abroad, including preventing a sale of property in the US.
- Acting for a mother in obtaining a Specific Issue Order that she be permitted to relocate from England to Sweden with her two children and for them to be educated there, as the father did not agree.
- Acting for a husband negotiating a settlement out of court where the husband was to retain the family farm and the wife was to retire from the farming partnership.
Lizzie’s Personal Testimonials
Chambers and Partners Guide 2024 – Listed as an Associate to Watch.
Chambers and Partners Guide 2024 – “Lizzie is an excellent lawyer – she is calm, professional, and knowledgeable. She combines strong legal insight and experience with family-centric practical advice.”
Chambers and Partners Guide 2024 – “She is extremely hard-working and deals with a variety of cases without any difficulty. She is personable and sympathetic.”
Legal 500 2024 – Listed as a key lawyer.
Legal 500 2023 – “Lizzie Smith is a brilliant solicitor – interested in clients and cases, efficient, thoughtful, good value, and level-headed.”
Chambers and Partners Guide 2023 – “She is extremely good at managing clients, has a good grasp of overall case management and a broader perspective of the case. Her communication is very strong.”
Chambers and Partners Guide 2022 – “Lizzie Smith is experienced in handling complex financial remedy matters and regularly acts for high net worth clients.”
Chambers and Partners Guide 2022 – “Lizzie Smith is an absolute joy to work with, she is excellent in her preparation and has the ability to see a case from multiple angles.”
Chambers and Partners Guide 2022 – “I found her approachable and supportive at every twist and turn of what was a very difficult time.”
Outside of work, having studied music at university, Lizzie enjoys listening to live music or performing, as well as going to the theatre.
She likes to make time for going to the gym, playing tennis, and is learning to play golf. Living in Somerset, she also enjoys heading out for walks.
- Alternatives to Court
- Business and Divorce
- Child Arrangements
- Civil Partnership and Same Sex Marriage
- Claims Against Trusts
- Divorce and Separation
- Domestic Abuse
- Family Law
- Finances Following Divorce or Separation
- Finances for Children
- Finances for Children (Following Divorce or Separation)
- High Net Worth Individuals
- Inherited and Pre-Marital Assets
- Interim Maintenance
- International Divorce
- Post Nuptial Agreements
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Variation of Maintenance Arrangements