Henry is a solicitor in our Employment team.
Henry enjoys working closely with clients, to truly understand them as a company / organisation or as individuals. His advice is commercial and goal-orientated, whether this is helping a company to sell their business, manage exits, evaluate employment documentation, or restructure its workforce, or helping an individual to voice concerns to their employer, leave their employment on favourable terms or hold their employer to account in the Employment Tribunal.
Henry believes in resolving potential disputes in the most cost-effective, least disruptive way possible. When matters do proceed to Tribunal, Henry efficiently steers clients through the process all the way to hearing and beyond.
As a member of our team advising our HRExpress members, Henry provides practical solutions to complex issues such as employment status, disciplinary situations, and sickness absence management, explaining difficult and unique legal points in terms which are easy to understand, without legal jargon.
Henry studied history at King’s College London before attending law school and qualifying as a solicitor in 2019 after training with a large international firm in the City of London. After spending some time working for the employment law team of a renowned professional services network, Henry returned to his hometown, Exeter, to join Stephens Scown in 2020.
Recent contentious work includes:
- Representing a bar manager removed from furlough without notice in a constructive unfair dismissal claim, including issues surrounding employment status and conducting advocacy at hearings
- Advising a care home in the defence of unfair dismissal and discrimination claims
- Advising a large retail company in the defence of a disability discrimination claim
- Advising a nurse in a whistleblowing claim against her former hospital employers
- Representing a senior employee in without prejudice negotiations following a protracted grievance process, obtaining a successful settlement and exit from the company
- Supporting a professional services firm on a negotiated exit process, including the protected conversation and settlement agreement process.
Recent non-contentious and general advisory work includes:
- Day-to-day employment law and HR support for a range of employer clients, including but not limited to SMEs from a broad range of sectors, IFAs, care homes, schools, local government, and a nationwide charity on issues including furlough, sickness absence management, redundancy, TUPE, contracts of employment / handbooks, disciplinary / performance management processes, grievances, sickness absence management, employment status
- Advising a care home business on employment aspects of its share sale, including reviewing legal due diligence replies, reviewing warranties / indemnities, and preparing disclosure letter
- Advising a hospitality business on the employment aspects of the asset purchase of a hotel, including advice on TUPE
- Guiding a hotel and a retail business through collective redundancy processes and consultation on changes to terms and conditions of employment
- Advising a consultant specialising in environmental sciences on consultancy arrangements, including in relation to personal service company (“PSC”) and IR35
- Advising a large retail business on best practice surrounding IR35 and employment status of contractors.
Henry is an active member of Stephens Scown’s Healthcare sector and has a keen interest in education, charities, public sector, and hospitality.
Henry is a member of the Junior Committee of the Employment Lawyers’ Association and is actively involved with Exeter Chamber, an organisation focussed on driving business success in Exeter and the surrounding area.
Outside work, Henry travels to visit his in-laws in Italy as much as possible and otherwise can be found appreciating the beautiful scenery which the South-West has to offer, usually while walking, running, cycling, or spending time with family, friends, and dog.
- Contracts, Agreements, Pay and Benefits
- Contracts and Handbooks
- Disciplinary and Grievance Issues (Business)
- Disciplinary and Grievance Issues (Personal)
- Employee Dismissal and Settlement Agreements
- Employment Law
- Employment Tribunal Claims
- Public Sector
- Restructuring and Redundancies
- Sickness Absence and Stress
- Sickness Absence Management
- Takeovers, Mergers and TUPE
- Unfair Treatment
- Workplace Disputes (Business)
- Workplace Disputes (Personal)