Sarah is a partner at Stephens Scown and she heads the Children team in our Truro office.
Sarah joined Stephens Scown in July 2002. She completed her training within the firm and qualified as a solicitor in April 2005.
Sarah specialises in issues concerning children, which include:
- Disputes regarding with whom children should live and arrangements for their care following relationship breakdown (child arrangements orders)
- Cases where domestic abuse has been alleged – requiring fact finding hearings and/or orders for protection
- Relocation of children within the UK and abroad
- Dealing with issues such as which school a child should be educated
- Grandparents’ rights.
Recent examples of how she has helped clients include:
- Achieving an order enabling a Mother and the children to remain in the UK following a relocation from another country
- Representing parents in cases where there have been allegations of sexual/physical/psychological/emotional abuse against themselves and/or their children
- Successfully representing a Mother in a case where there had been significant domestic abuse and numerous injunctions had to be sought to protect her, which concluded with the Father having no direct contact with the children
- Representing a Mother who was successful in terminating a Father’s parental responsibility due to his behaviour
- Applying to the Court for a child to give evidence in court proceedings where allegations of abuse were raised.
Sarah is Chair of the Cornwall Resolution Committee which promotes the resolving of disputes in a constructive and non-confrontational way. She is sensitive to the needs and views of clients whilst ensuring matters are dealt with skilfully and cost effectively.
Sarah’s personal testimonials:
“Sarah’s advice and efficient communication inspired me to progress with the case, even though I had been advised by another solicitor to expect a possible loss, as the more likely conclusion. The employment of an experienced barrister was pivotal in ensuring the other party backing down and revealing self-defeating admissions. I would have no hesitation in recommending Stephens Scown solicitors, to anyone who requires a first-class representation in court.”
Lee, November 2023
“Sarah was considerate and caring during a difficult time for me. Her work was exceptional, and I’m incredibly thankful to her for everything she did for me. I would 100% recommend her to anyone. She’s an asset to Stephens Scown and all her clients.”
Lucy, September 2023
“Thank you so much for all your help over the last 18 months (probably more). The new way of operating is already feeling totally different and I’ll be forever grateful.”
Mike, May 2023
In her spare time, Sarah enjoys riding her horses and her mountain bike and walking on the Cornish beaches.