Ben heads up our IP, IT and Data Protection team. Ben is an innovative and entrepreneurial lawyer who founded the team in 2012. Since then he has overseen its growth to become one of the largest specialist teams in the UK.
Ben has over 15 years’ experience of advising businesses on legal issues. He qualified as a solicitor in 2006 after training with a national firm.
Ben advises clients across the globe on a range of contentious and non-contentious matters, including IP protection and exploitation and the negotiation of complex IT contracts. Ben advises a range of businesses, from household names to innovative disruptive tech start-ups.
He is well known for working with clients to help find imaginative, non-traditional solutions to complex problems and for helping businesses to use IP to help them meet their business goals.
His work includes:
- Advising a leading motorsports team on the protection of their IP portfolio
- Advising a household cider brand on their global trade mark portfolio
- Acting as IP adviser in residence for Set Squared, a leading global business incubator comprised of Russel Group Universities
- Delivering IP support and audit services through organisations such as Newable and UCL
- Advising on complex IT outsourcing contracts, for both public and private sectors
- Advising on legal issues around emerging web technologies, such as marketing technologies, voice search etc
- Ben regularly advices on IT contracts, software licences and development agreements
- Ben is an active member of the International Trade Mark Association where he sits on a committee helping to advise on policy issues impacting on brand owners.
Ben has a wealth of experience across a range of sectors, in particular:
- Technology: Advising on the legal implications around emerging technologies including blockchain, AI and facial recognition. From working with emerging start-ups to tech giants, Ben has a reputation for finding imaginative solutions which meet the client’s business goals
- Food and Drink: advising a range of household name clients on IP matters, including branding and wider IP protection
- Fashion: Ben has a long history of advising fast moving and luxury fashion brands on issues including trade marks, online reputation management, online trading and international trade issues
- International Trade: Ben helps many UK businesses to navigate their way through international trade and is the chosen provider of legal services for many overseas law firms who require assistance for their clients importing to the UK.
Ben’s personal testimonials:
Chambers and Partners (2021) – “Ben Travers is really good, he works with a commercial view in mind.”
Legal 500 (2021) – Ben Travers heads the practice and is an experienced IT and IP lawyer. A source said: “Ben Travers stands out for his friendly, quick and professional approach. He has always been open to advising us on a wide range of issues, and will always consult other colleagues if the advice is out of his area of expertise. I have always had quick responses from the team and they have been engaged and interested in our business, helping out at events and supporting our journey.”
Chambers and Partners (2020) – “He is highly knowledgeable and explains complex IP matters in a clear way.”
Chambers and Partners (2019) – “He has always taken an interest in our business and has made time to meet regularly. He is a trusted partner for us on all IP matters.”
Chambers and Partners (2018) – “Extensive experience in trade mark registration, enforcement and licensing. He advises many of the region’s growth-stage businesses on the commercialisation and protection of their IP.”
Chambers and Partners (2017) – Recommended Lawyer – “Ben is really user-friendly, very commercial and clearly an expert in his field.”
Chambers and Partners (2016) – Ranked as “up and coming” in the guide, Ben has been hailed as “commercial and personable” by sources, and “he is technically very knowledgeable, quick to respond, very pleasant, easy to deal with.”
Legal 500 (2017) – Recommended Lawyer – ” is an excellent, solutions-driven lawyer” and “is an exceptionally talented IP lawyer.”
Ben enjoys challenging himself with triathlons.