Laurie is a partner and jointly leads the Corporate team with over 12 years in practice, she qualified as a solicitor in 2009. She joined us as a partner in the Corporate team in Truro in 2017 having previously been the Acting Head of Legal at Cornwall Council.
Laurie is recognised in in the Legal 500 (2023) as a Leading Individual.
Laurie has extensive experience of corporate and commercial matters both within the SME market and within the public sector. Her work regularly involves advising on high value commercial contracts, major procurements and establishing alternative delivery vehicles including the use of trading companies and joint ventures.
As the head of our Charity team, Laurie has a strong regulatory and governance background and advises charities working in a variety of sectors including social housing, healthcare and education in connection with a broad range of charity law related issues including corporate governance, trustee duties, restructuring including mergers, trading, fundraising and grant-funding agreements.
Laurie’s recent work includes:
- Advising on the business case for the restructuring and implementation of a local authority trading group for the delivery of homes for market rent
- Advising on commercial agreements including in connection with cross border transactions
- Supporting an education sector client with a high profile public sector infrastructure project including advice in connection with commercial and procurement matters
- Assisting with the establishment of a new corporate joint venture between three large national charities within the healthcare sector including advice regarding governance, incorporation and transfer of assets
- Providing support on a number of high value contracts and procurements including advice relating to the competitive dialogue process
- Advising on a complex, innovative joint venture between a local authority Teckal company and a local authority for the delivery of highways maintenance
- Supporting a variety of large charities on a number of charity law issues including corporate governance reviews, advising on trustee duties, and supporting on a number of charity restructures and mergers.
Laurie has achieved the Law Society’s Diploma in Local Government Law and Practice and is a member of the Charity Law Association. She was also Young Solicitor of the Year 2010 (Solicitors in Local Government) and shortlisted for the Law Society’s Excellence Award in the category Junior Lawyer of the Year 2010.
Increasingly, organisations and business leaders are no longer measuring success solely from the annual accounts, but whether they have a defined positive purpose, whether that purpose is being met and what the organisation’s impact is. As one of our B Corp™ Champions, Laurie is knowledgeable and passionate about helping you build your own purpose and positive impact – at whatever stage of this you are at.
Laurie’s personal testimonials:
Legal 500 (2024) – Leading Individual
Chambers and Partners (2023) – “Laurie is very knowledgeable and has the experience and skills to present complex information in an understandable way and responds professionally and supportively to questions.” “Laurie is a brilliant lawyer.”
Legal 500 (2023) – Leading Individual – “Laurie Trounce is extremely knowledgeable and experienced in working with the Charity sector. She is personable, professional and explains sometimes complex information in an easy to understand way to different audiences.” “Laurie Trounce brings a lot of experience to the table, especially in relation to charities and not for profit entities working with local authorities.”
Chambers and Partners (2022) – “She is extremely good technically and excellent at explaining things to clients in a simple manner.” “She is an excellent lawyer who is very personable and knowledgeable. Laurie has provided a range of support and we have always found her to be responsive to our needs and highly efficient.” “Laurie Trounce is extremely knowledgeable and an excellent communicator.”
Legal 500 (2022) – Leading Individual – Laurie has significant commercial and company law experience.
Legal 500 (2022) – Practice head Laurie Trounce leads the team from Truro, focusing on charity formation, fundraising, restructuring and governance. A source said: “Laurie Trounce is really approachable, happy to help and understands the diverse needs of a small charity.”
Chambers and Partners (2020) – A market commentator says: “They are an excellent firm and I consider them to be the number one lawyers in Cornwall. They have a great breadth of knowledge and expertise.” Sources also report that “they are very client-focused and put the hours and travelling in to accommodate tight deadlines.”
In her spare time, Laurie enjoys spending time with her family and looking after her chickens.