Guy Michell is an associate in the firm’s Construction team and is primarily based in the firm’s Truro Office.
Guy qualified as a Solicitor in 2014 after gaining a LLB (hons) Law Degree from the University of Exeter and joined Stephens Scown in September 2012.
Guy advises employers, consultants, main contractors and sub-contractors on a broad range of construction and engineering related disputes. Guy is experienced in dealing with adjudications, litigation in both the County Court and the High Court and various means of alternative dispute resolution. Guy regularly deals with issues concerning delays, defects in design and/or workmanship, interim payments and final accounts.
Guy also advises and supports clients with drafting and negotiating bespoke and standard form construction contracts, professional appointments and collateral warranties.
Examples of Guy’s recent work include:
- Acting for an employer in a high value claim in the technology and construction court in relation to the defective design and installation of a water treatment plant
- Acting on behalf of homeowner in an adjudication concerning defective works
- Advising a sub-contractor in relation to its ability to suspend works and terminate under an amended form JCT Design and Build Sub-Contract
- Acting on behalf of a consultant in respect of a professional negligence claim
- Representing a core participant in the Grenfell Inquiry
- Acting on behalf of an employer in a multi-million pound adjudication regarding defective works and the final account
- Advising a homeowner in respect of a dispute with a national house builder and securing favourable terms of settlement
- Successfully enforcing an Adjudicator’s decision in the Technology and Construction Court in London.
- Drafting standard terms and conditions for an M&E contractor
- Acting for a Town Council in connection with the drafting of professional appointments relating to the design and construction of new public facilities
- Drafting collateral warranties for a new town development in Cornwall
- Reviewing and advising a sub-contractor on amendments to a standard form JCT contract
- Advising consultant on terms of professional appointment and collateral warranty in connection with a large residential development in Cornwall
- Advising a funder client on construction contracts for a large development in Devon.
Guy is a member of the Constructing Excellence Cornwall Hub.
Guy's personal testimonials:
“I just wanted to send a quick email to express my thanks for all your hard work and professionalism, absolutely superb from start to finish.”
Louis Forgham, Director of Otter (South West) Limited, August 2021
Outside of work, Guy enjoys spending time with his young family and playing badminton for Cornwall. Guy is also a PADI Open Water Diver.