Ian is a partner in our Property Litigation team based primarily in Truro.
Ian qualified as a solicitor in September 2002 after gaining a LLB (Hons) law degree from the University of Liverpool and joined Stephens Scown in September 2015.
Ian acts for all manner of clients from private individuals to landed estates, farmers to large corporate clients with clients based all over the South West and increasingly elsewhere in England. Ian is a specialist property litigator, advising clients in relation to all contentious matters concerning land, whether freehold or leasehold and particularly in relation to agricultural land.
Ian also regularly advises on disputes concerning commercial land and residential property. Ian frequently advises in complex issues particularly in relation to landlord and tenant issues and regularly appears in the County Court and First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber). Ian also deals with matters in the High Court and Court of Appeal as well as agricultural arbitrations and tribunal applications. Ian also has significant experience of, and success in, representing clients at mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Recent work by Ian has included the following:
- Acting for client contesting a Case B notice served in relation to an AHA Tenancy and settling in favourable terms
- Acting for a client in relation to, and settling, arbitration under the Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 for a claim in the region of £1.3m
- Advising clients on succession applications under an AHA tenancy
- Obtaining a vesting order for a farmer client in relation to land left in a will with missing/untraceable executors
- Acting for a farmer in multi million pound negotiations for the grant of a new easement to a well-known/household name food and drink producer.
Ian is a member and Fellow of the Agricultural Law Association and is also a member of the Property Litigation Association and the Cornwall Law Society.
Ian’s personal testimonials:
Legal 500 (2021) – Rising Star – Ian Thomas leads the firm’s contentious practice with expertise in property litigation.
Legal 500 (2020) – Rising Star