Jim is a partner and heads up our construction team. He’s a specialist in construction law and has been recognised in national independent legal directories as a ‘leader’ in this field. His work includes advising on contractual disputes as well as drafting build contracts, appointments and collateral warranties. Jim is experienced in dealing with complex and high value adjudication and arbitration proceedings, as well as technology and construction court claims.
Jim qualified as a solicitor in 1996 after studying law at Exeter University. He qualified as a solicitor with Winckworth Sherwood in London before moving to Foot Anstey in Exeter and then joined Stephens Scown in 2016.
Examples of recent work include:
• Representing a client in a multi-million pound adjudication, in relation to defective works and the final account
• Drafting EPC Agreements in relation to solar parks
• Enforcing adjudication decisions in the Technology and Construction Court
• Resolving an extension of time dispute in relation to the construction of an energy from waste plant
• Drafting collateral warranties and appointments on behalf of a funder client for a multi-million pound project
• Drafting standard contract amendments including the new JCT Design and Build Contract 2016
Chambers 2019: "He is skilled in construction law and I couldn't recommend him highly enough; he's been great."
Chambers 2016: "He is very detailed, deliberate and comes across in such a way that you are able to understand the issues and your options."
Outside of work, Jim is a keen sailor and has represented Great Britain at World and European level. He is now more often involved getting his kids out on the water sailing and surfing and is a member of Starcross Sailing Club.