Sustainability has become an increasingly important consideration in so many areas of our lives, and rightly so. Many local communities are keen to work together on community energy projects – and indeed there are now at least 300 community energy groups working on projects across the UK.
Manned mainly by volunteers community energy groups will turn to us when the need for legal input arises – we can assist at any step of a community project and are here to support community projects at every stage of development .
Turning the dream into reality
With our help, you have a much greater chance of making it happen. We work with over 25 community energy project groups including Avalon Community Energy, Bath and West Community Energy and Exeter Community Energy.
We know our way through the legal maze, and the whole concept of communities working together to help themselves is close to our hearts. The big plus is that we have vast experience providing top class legal advice to commercial renewable energy organisations and their funders. Experience we can use to good effect to help communities achieve their renewable goals on a more human scale.
We’d love to add your project to this list of successes. Speak to us and you’ll find we talk your language. You can count on our team of highly trained and qualified professionals to guide you through the legal process, all deeply committed to safeguarding the energy future of our communities and our society.
Our recent community energy projects experience
- Exeter Community Energy – due diligence on title, creation of leases and reversionary leases and implementation of more than 10 rooftop solar projects within the Exeter area.
- Mongoose Energy – setting up a licenced supply company, together with full due diligence (real estate, planning, construction and grid) and acquisition of 8 large (sub 5MW) solar projects which included advice on project finance and setting up community interest companies.
- Brendon Energy (Exe Valley hydro) – acting for a community developer, undertaking due diligence and putting in place 3 leases with separate landowners and a power purchase agreement with a statutory undertaker to take 100% of the electricity supply from a small scale hydro scheme for a 60 year period.
- Acting for a lender – in relation to a £2 million financing for a community energy wind project of 1MW in Gloucester, undertaking full due diligence and putting in place adequate protections for the lender.
- Illogan Green Ripple Project – a community project which aims to reduce the overall energy consumption of a community by working with local residents. We provided due diligence and enabled implementation of 8 rooftop solar leases and power purchase agreements.
- Peter Tavy Community Hydropower Ltd – providing due diligence on a hydro power scheme.
- South Dartmoor Community Energy – providing legal support with the acquisition of a large scale ground mounted solar park and energy efficiency projects.
- Negotiations on behalf of a community group in respect of a proposed National Grid Easement running through a 5MW community owned solar park.
- Low Carbon Gordano Limited – acting on the acquisition of two ground mounted solar arrays, including full due diligence.
- Set up and governance of Community Benefit Societies and Community Interest Companies are a particular specialism of ours and we have a good relationship with the regulator.
Members of the energy team also act as trustees and board members at the following organisations:
- Exeter Community Energy
- Bath and West Community Energy
- South Dartmoor Community Energy
- Green Wedmore
- Community Energy Plus
- Avalon Community Energy