Marine planning

Development between MHWS and MLWS

Development of land in the area covered by the tides rise and fall may require a number of consents and permissions.

In addition to planning permission, consents are potentially required under the Land and Drainage Act 1991, Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009 (MMO licence) and local harbour Acts.

Our Planning team can assist you to obtain the necessary consents (or exemptions) associated with your project between the mean high and low water springs levels.


Harbour development

Many harbours and ports have powers to carry out works under local Acts of Parliament, or via harbour orders made under the Harbours Act 1964.

This means that an application for planning permission (or other consents) may not be required to carry out new works with the harbour.  In addition the operator of the harbour or dock may be a statutory undertaker for the purposes of planning and therefore able to utilise permitted development rights for new construction within the harbour or docks.


Get in touch

Request a call back now

ExeterSt AustellTruro

By pressing send and providing your details you are agreeing to our Privacy Notice.

Chris Tofts


Christian Wilson


Duncan Tilney


Hilary Pitts


Scott Mitchell


Toby Claridge


Verity Slater


“The team is quick and efficient, and gets things done to a pretty tight timescale.”

Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession 2015

© Stephens Scown Solicitors LLP 2020.
Site by Infotex