Simon is a partner who has over 15 years experience in the minerals and waste sector. Simon joined Stephens Scown in 1999 and qualified as a solicitor in 2003 after gaining a Law LLB Honours Degree from Exeter University.
He has a broad experience in commercial property matters. He advises both operators and landowners, with typical work including:
- How best to structure and progress both waste and minerals related transactions, from a review of Heads of Terms through to preparing and advising on the transaction documents. Most commonly these are option agreements, conditional contracts, mineral leases or freehold transfers with ancillary agreements such as put and call options, leases of easements and aftercare licences
- Matters ancillary to existing mineral and waste schemes, such as variations of existing leasehold arrangements including renewals, reversionary leases and supplemental leases
- Mineral rights and mineral ownership
- Transactions relating to end of life uses, such as development and freehold disposals
- The stamp duty land tax implications and how to structure a transaction in the most efficient way
- Waste specific matters including options and leases of EFW plants, MRF’s and IBA Plants, as well as infill licences
- General real estate matters, such as high value commercial leases, adverse possession applications, exclusivity agreements, first registrations, freehold disposals site acquisitions and commercial development.
Simon's personal testimonials:
Chambers and Partners (2022) - Simon Gawler is highly experienced in a wide range of minerals and mining mandates, including royalty reviews and lease negotiation and variation.
Chambers and Partners (2021) - "He is very detailed, thorough and knowledgeable." "He has excellent knowledge and offers good advice."
Chambers and Partners (2021) - Energy & Natural Resources: Mining: Domestic - UK-wide – Band 2
Chambers and Partners (2019) - Energy & Natural Resources: Mining: Domestic - UK-wide - Recognised Practitioner
Simon enjoys spending time with his young family and when he has the time he enjoys windsurfing, tennis, golf, surfing and cycling.