Get in touch today 0345 450 5558


What do I have to show to claim adverse possession?

Broadly speaking, to claim land by adverse possession, you will need to prove the following:-

(i)    Uninterrupted factual possession of the land – i.e. a sufficient degree of exclusive physical control over the land. This will depend upon the individual circumstances of the case;
(ii)    Intention to possess the land during that period of possession;
(iii)    That your possession has been without the consent of the owner; and
(iv)    That you have possessed the land for the requisite period of time.

To claim adverse possession, an application will usually be made to the Land Registry.

Contact us today

    Office you wish to contact

    By pressing send and providing your details you are agreeing to our Privacy Notice.