Terry is a partner in our Employment team and specialises in employment disputes which look likely to become litigated or alternatively are already being litigated. Terry is well known for his approach to disputes, giving practical advice, guiding clients on tactics in complex disputes and always seeking workable solutions. He does also carry out larger HR projects involving workforce and organisational development. Terry is able to provide guidance and oversight other team members who advise on employment and HR issues for companies throughout the UK.
Terry qualified in September 2002 and is extremely experienced both in terms of litigation but also a strong advocate of resolving disputes at an early stage to avoid lengthy and costly litigation. He is one of the few qualified employment disputes mediators in the South West.
Terry has represented national and international companies, as well as charitable and public sector organisations. He is very familiar with local authority issues and how they work, the relationships between members, officers and third party providers.
He also has extensive expertise in the food and drink, health and social care and hospitality sectors, advising businesses and employees on a variety of employment issues relevant to the sectors such as CQC inspections, regulatory and professional issues as well as employment status.
Terry is regularly instructed in relation to interim orders and fitness to practice proceedings affecting medical professionals in respect of Medical Practitioners Tribunal proceedings (MPTS), disciplinary issues involving GPs, consultants, psychiatrists and other medical experts, and the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). Additionally, Terry has represented Dental specialists, Opticians and other Healthcare professionals.
His work in the recent past includes:
- Advising nurses, psychiatrists, doctors and consultant surgeons in relation to a number of claims including race, age and disability discrimination, unfair dismissal and whistle-blowing
- Providing advice in relation to the purchases of businesses, and TUPE issues, and restructures and redundancy exercises. He has also negotiated with unions and staff representatives
- Successful representation of and tribunal advocacy in lengthy cases for large national brand partners of a large national charity involving whistleblowing and discrimination – subject of extensive local media coverage
- Successful representation and costs applications in cases of unfair dismissal and whistleblowing for a professional services company and a large beverage company by senior employees
- Representing solicitors firms and accountants in terms of disputes with very senior members
- Advising a college in relation to an unusual claim for discrimination on the grounds of religion and philosophical belief relating to a self styled priest who was a teacher and held and disseminated islamophobic views
- Recently, Terry successfully represented a retired Superintendent against the Metropolitan Police Service in a discrimination case which received widespread media coverage by the national newspapers and broadcasters.
Terry has also advised extensively (as in-house Counsel) in relation to a League 2 EFL Football club in terms of senior contracts, transfers and a football Tribunal.
Terry is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association and was an elected town and district Councillor for 12 years. He has been the Chairman of an academy strategic board and led that academy in its significant expansion, doubling in size over a two year period.
Terry’s personal testimonials:
Legal 500 (2021) – Leading Individual – “The standout partner was Terry Falcão. From the outset, he was efficient and yet sensitive. His experience was evident in his drilling down to all the salient points and exploring all aspects with rigour. Throughout he was proactive and exercised good judgement in dealing with lawyers on the other side which led to a very good outcome. I would recommend Terry without hesitation for his strong employment law knowledge and experience and determination to see the very best outcome for his clients.”
Legal 500 (2020) – Leading Individual
Chamber and Partners (2019) – valued for his sensitive and thorough handling of reorganisations, redundancies and dispute resolution. He is praised by one client, as he “really makes himself part of the team and is interested in the outcomes we want.”
Chamber and Partners (2018) – “He is calm, very professional and knowledgeable, and he guided us expertly through what could have become a very heated situation.”
Legal 500 (2017) – Recommended Lawyer – “Stephens Scown LLP is a leader in the employment field. The outstanding Terry Falcao is very experienced and confident.”
Outside of work, Terry keeps fit through hiking and going to the gym. He also enjoys live music (particularly Glastonbury) and motorcycling.
- Church Law
- Disciplinary and Grievance Issues (Business)
- Disciplinary and Grievance Issues (Personal)
- Employee Dismissal and Settlement Agreements
- Employment Law
- Employment Tribunal Claims
- Food and Drink
- Holiday Parks
- Leisure and Tourism
- Mediation Services (Business)
- Mediation Services (Personal)
- Public Sector
- Restructuring and Redundancies
- Sickness Absence and Stress
- Sickness Absence Management
- Takeovers, Mergers and TUPE
- Unfair Treatment
- Workplace Disputes (Business)
- Workplace Disputes (Personal)