Developers, lenders and landowners in the South West and nationally have used Stephens Scown’s energy team to support them through their wind projects from start to finish. Despite changes to subsidies and onshore planning rules, we still provide legal support to the wind industry. Stephens Scown acted on the first wind farm in the country at Delabole in Cornwall and continues to be a leader in wind energy transactions.
Our energy team have unique industry qualifications such as Sonya Bedford’s Global Wind Organisation WINDA Delegate Training Certificate (which enables Sonya to scale a wind turbine) This extensive and varied knowledge means we are well placed to put together the best deals for our clients no matter what stage of the project they are at.
Our wind energy expertise includes:
- Regulatory issues (OFGEM accreditation and interpretation of regulations)
- Project finance and re-financing
- The Feed in Tariff and Renewable Obligation Certificates
- Preparing heads of terms
- Property and commercial agreements
- Wayleaves & easements
- Power purchase agreements
- Bespoke grid connections
- Construction contracts
- Operation and maintenance agreements
- Purchasing wind turbines
Our wind energy experience
- Refinancing of a 6 turbine wind farm in Scotland for over £19 million
- Planning for a 25MW 12 turbine development in
- Advising a wind developer on full due diligence of a 15MW 3 turbine project in Devon/Cornwall requiring 9 easements, a bespoke connection agreement, power purchase agreement and subsequent disposal to an investment fund.
- Advising on a 500kW wind turbine project at Holsworthy in Devon which reached exchange in just 5 business days in order to facilitate the project moving on to the next stage.
- Advising on more that 10 500 kW turbines throughout Cornwall and Devon including warranties on turbines and funding agreements
- Social and Sustainable Capital – acquisition and funding of two community scale wind turbines in Gloucestershire.
- Trevissome Wind Energy Limited – purchase of two wind turbines
- Combined wind and storage projects for two turbine projects in Cornwall where there was a grid constraint